Enjoy a beautiful 3 days exploring the magic of Balingup and the surrounding region staying 2 nights at award winning Balingup Heights Hilltop Forest Cottages. Immerse yourself in nature and experience peace and tranquillity in your own private bush cottage. Take in stunning views and explore Balingup, the spectacular Blackwood River Valley and the quaint towns of Nannup and Bridgetown.
This 3 day/2 night itinerary is just a sample of the myriad of experiences you can undertake in and around Balingup. And with Balingup being centrally located in the heart of Australia’s South West, you’re only a short drive away from many other great attractions.
Your 3 day/2 night ‘Best of Balingup’ itinerary
Click on the arrow to expand
Take a leisurely drive to Balingup from Perth. An easy 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive south, but we recommend you make the most of your journey and visit some iconic locations along the way.
- Stop off at the Bunbury Dolphin Discovery Centre.
- Enjoy a fun break at WA's largest playground in Donnybrook, the Apple Fun Park.
- Take a side trip to the quirky Gnomesville in the Ferguson Valley.
- Visit Barrecas Wines, or one of the other award winning wineries in Donnybrook. Meet the maker and pick up some local boutique wines.
- Arrive in Balingup and settle into your hilltop forest cottage, immerse yourself in nature and enjoy a magical sunset. Photographic opportunities abound! At night, stoke up the wood fire and relax in your own cosy Cottage.
- Wake early and experience a magical misty morning sunrise.
- Join Deb & Brian for the daily farm animal feeding session.
- Afterwards enjoy a relaxing breakfast in your cottage, or venture into town for a hearty country breakfast at either the Mushroom Cafe or the Olde Shed Cafe.
- Wander along the Balingup main street and browse the shops, including;
Balingup Goldsmith for some hand crafted jewellery,
The Tinderbox, for herbal oils and essences,
Village Pedlars for hand crafted and locally made treasures,
Balingup Visitors Centre, for more local arts, crafts and local produce.
The Old Cheese Factory, the largest privately owned arts & crafts centre in WA.
- If you’re into history visit the Balingup Museum in the Packing Shed, or take a stroll along the Avenue of Honour under the majestic 100 year old oak trees.
- The Golden Valley Tree Park, WA's largest arboretum is a must visit destination and only 5 mins drive south of Balingup.
- For a great coffee try one of the Cafes in and around Balingup.
- Head to a local orchard to 'pick your own' local fruit in season.
- Visit Bridgetown, we recommend lunch at the Bridgetown Cidery.
- Kangaroos - get up close! You may be lucky to see kangaroos at Balingup Heights, but at nearby Donnelly River Village, you’ll be able to feed and photograph kangaroos and emus! A must do ‘selfie’!
- At days end, explore one of the many walk trails at Balingup Heights. Spot wild flowers in season and enjoy a stunning sunset at our private lookout. Enjoy a BBQ and relax on your cottage balcony. At night stoke up the wood fire and relax in your own cosy Cottage.
Follow the South West Highway south and explore beautiful Bridgetown on your way to the tall tree towns of Pemberton and Manjimup, or further afield to the rugged coastline surrounding Denmark and Albany.
Drive the spectacular Blackwood River Tourist Drive exploring the quaint town of Nannup, then onto the Margaret River Region for the next part of your journey.